Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

One Super Movie



Last weekend I saw the movie Super 8. One of the main reasons that I wanted to see this movie was because of the movie's writer and director, J.J. Abrams. Now, I am a HUGE sucker for anything J.J. Abrams. I have watched all of his T.V. shows that he has ever been a part of. This movie is, to put it lightly, fantastic and even better than I thought it would be. For the most part I'm pretty young having grown up in the 90s and early 00s so you can probably guess that I didn't really know what a "Super 8" was. For others who don't know, a Super 8 was a popular type of video camera in the late 70s/80s.

The movie is set in 1980 and follows a wide eyed group of boys (think Goonies or Stand by me) as they spend their summer making a zombie movie with their Super 8 camera. One night they sneak out to film a scene at a train station accompanied by a girl at their school (Elle Fanning) whom they have recruited to play their leading lady. As they are filming a military train passes by and derails, their Super 8 capturing the moment. What is on the train reeks havoc on the small town and the people who live in it.

Unfortunately, I can't really say more with out giving away the entire movie. This movie had that magical feeling too it. A feeling that is hard to describe but reminds me of when I would go to the movies as a kid. I felt almost engulfed in the magic of it all. To me it's 100% worth seeing in the theater. I also really loved Elle Fanning in it. That girl is going to have quite the career.

Sincerely, Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment